Saturday, February 5, 2011

Place of Pain

Sometimes I feel like David (from the Bible). I do everything I can to do what I'm supposed to and even if I beat the giant, I've got other, bigger problems to deal with once that's over with. Its times that I get discouraged that I sit and read the Psalms. Today, Psalm 84 is what popped up on Google when I went looking for encouragement (funny how God uses things like Google!) Sometimes the old language throws off the meaning for me so I re-write it in the spirit of what he was getting at. I felt I should share today.


How beautiful is your home, Lord Almighty. My soul longs, even though I may be tired and weary, to be in your presence. My heart and my body cry out for the living God. Even something as insignificant as a sparrow has a place, a nest where she can protect her little babies - a place close to you, Lord Almighty, My King and my God.

Those who live in your house, they are blessed. They are always thanking you. Those who depend on you for their strength, they are also blessed. Their hearts are set on an adventure. As they walk through the place of great pain and crying, they transform it to a place of hope. The driest parts become lush pools of life. They continue to hold on to your strength, determined to make it until they reach God in the fullness of heaven. Listen to me pleading, Lord God, and hear me. Look on the things I have protecting me with favor, and give a shield to the ones you have chosen.

Its better to be with you for one day than live a thousand days apart from you. I'd rather be a slave doing the dirtiest jobs You have than live with those who don't know You. You are the light of the day and my protection at night. You give me favor and honor. You don't hold back any blessings from those who walk without fault.

Lord Almighty, blessed is anyone who puts their trust in You.



Did you catch that part about the valley of pain (Valley of Baca)? David says "As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools." He doesn't say that they just tough through the desert, or that God chooses to have mercy on their souls - it says THEY (as in the ones walking through it, the ones who turn to God for their strength) MAKE it a place of springs.

You -- not anyone else, not God, not your church leaders, not your spouse. YOU are the one who can make your place of greatest pain a place of life and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment