Thursday, September 30, 2010

Disappointment







If you google disappointment and click images, these are what you will see along with countless other sad, terrible things - somethings that make you laugh because they are so ridiculous. Other things that make you want to cry.

Disappointment is something we all face. Today, I was disappointed in a situation that blew up in my face. I was disappointed in a change in my job that was supposed to be a really good thing and I felt I was doing my employer a favor and I guess they didn't feel the same. Without getting caught up in the story, I wanted to address the frusteration, the disappointment, the feelings... the way your soul screams at you saying "THIS ISN'T HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!!!"

I remember as a teenager hearing in church about a woman who had to give birth to a baby she knew would be still-born. She spoke those words as she pushed her poor broken child into the world who never got a chance. As an adult I have several friends who have lost babies in miscarriage. My pastor's wife talks about loosing her first child, who they had to try so hard to concieve. I've never lost a baby, but there is some disappointment wrapped up there. That's an extreem situation that speaks volumes of our hearts losses, the things we expected that went so wrong.

Loosing a baby, getting fired, your house burning down, or even just having a friend lie to you - all these things hurt. Some more than others. But what is the core that we struggle with as believers?

I thought you said I could trust you. I thought you said you'd take care of me. I thought you said you had plans for me. I thought you wanted me to be happy. Don't you care at all? Do you even see what's happening? Are you even there?

Look out. Be aware. Listen to your soul and tell it to be quiet. Bring it to submission - recognize that is your soul and not your spirit. Spirit knows that you are in the place you were meant to be right now. Spirit understands what is happening in the spiritual planes that your natural cannot understand. Tune in to your spirit. Tune up to His spirit. He will cry with you. He hurts with you.


You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. (Psalm 56:8)

..... and then take courage

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling (psalm 46)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
phillipians 4:6-7

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your encouragement. I do believe ...with you :)

    ReplyDelete