Thursday, October 28, 2010

Running Interference




I was driving to work today looking at all the road construction being done as they widen Dalton Pike (the Tennessee side of Cleveland Highway). As I was observing the changes, one thing I noted was the addition of more power lines. I assume that they will replace the current power lines eventually since the older ones are closer to the road than the newer ones. But, as I was looking at them, God spoke to me. All those power lines, all that stuff up in the sky was interfering with my sight of the sky. And the sky was beautiful this morning - clear blue with a tinge of pink in the early morning.

What was the point he was making to me?

All sorts of things will come to interfere with your picture or sight of Heaven or the Father. They will be added to constantly if you don't take out the old before new stuff comes along. You must stay consistent to deal with the old things that haunt you and trouble your spirit instead of pushing it aside. Dealing with pain and hurt and past things is a hard thing to do.

And, as I wrote the title of my blog today, the Father also reminded me of the sports terminology "to run interference." My dad (who coached basketball when I was a kid) would use that term frequently when it came to acomplishing something. If our team was going to win, we'd have to run interference when the other team had the ball to prevent them from making a basket. Likewise, they'd be instructed to run interference when a team mate had the ball to keep the other team at bay so that they could make a basket. Even on the offense, they had to run a solid defense if they were going to win the game.

When I google the term "to run interference" the description given is "to help someone achieve something by dealing with the people or problems that might prevent them from doing so."

Let us be reminded that the forces of evil and our own carnal nature are constantly running interference in order to keep us from the annointing of the Spirit and accomplishing the will of God in your life!

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us

No comments:

Post a Comment